FOUNDATIONS: ENERGY (2 WEEKS)
- Bring you up to speed on the basics of energy concepts.
All of the material of the Foundations: Energy Course is made available at the same time and takes approximately 15 hours to complete. While you will be able to interact with fellow participants, the course is designed for you to go through it on your own, without input or feedback from your instructors.
Foundations: Energy Course is required for all participants unless you opt out based on the results of a very short placement test when the course opens. Participants who opt out are still encouraged to take the course.
FOUNDATIONS: ENVIRONMENTAL & CLIMATE JUSTICE (2 WEEKS)
- Build a common vocabulary in justice, environment, and energy.
- Examine fundamentals in race, power, intersectionality, indigeneity, decolonization, ideas and frameworks of justice, recognizing structural inequity, and the origins of social, environmental, and climate justice movements.
ENERGY JUSTICE (5 WEEKS)
- Examine problems within the energy sector, diving into scale, intersections, and governance of the problems.
- Examine restorative and voice-centering approaches to justice and how we can advance a just and equitable clean energy transition.
- Dive into a case study on: renewable energy development, transportation, public health, historical inequities of indigenous land dispossession, and global justice issues.
CLEAN ENERGY DEVELOPMENT (5 WEEKS)
Dive into everything you need to consider to bring a clean energy project from conception through to development:
- Introduction and Identifying / Creating Markets,
- Site Selection, Land Control, and Scale,
- Principles for a clean, affordable, just, and equitable energy project,
- Community Engagement - Consultation & Free, Prior, and Informed Consent (FPIC),
- Permitting, and policy & legal requirements and opportunities,
- Origination and Marketing,
- Financing and Investment,
- Construction and Operations & Maintenance.