We are excited to a hold day-long event around waste reduction, repairing and repurposing clothing and everyday items to extend the life of a product and keep "stuff" out of the waste stream.
11:00am - 6:00pm: Worn Wear Repairs and Used Patagonia Clothing Sales
Patagonia's Worn Wear truck will be on campus to fix your damaged gear (any brand!) for repair and sell previously owned Patagonia gear.
Note: they are only able to recieve a limited amount of items, first come, first served!
11:00am - 2:00pm: Repair, Reuse, Repurpose Fair
Come and participate in a clothing swap, repair & reuse workshops (clothing, technology, bikes, etc.) and see a film screening of “A Film About the Stories We Wear” and more! Participants will include:
- Tangled Up in Blue - Yale’s only undergraduate American folk ensemble will be performing at 12pm outside Ingalls Rink.
- Clothing Swap - Donate lightly used clothing, accessories, and books that you don’t need anymore, and find something you do! All remaining items will be donated to Easter Seals Goodwill. Coordinated by Grad Housing.
- Sewing Repair - Extend the life of your clothes by learning how to hem pants, sew on a button, and fix a tear! Bring an item that needs fixing or just come to learn.
- Tote bag workshop - Learn how to make a unique tote bag out of an old t-shirt with members of the Working Women’s Network. Bring a shirt you’d like to use. If you don’t have one, we’ll have extra!
- “A Film About the Stories We Wear” - This short film takes you to an off-the-grid surf camp in Baja, Mexico; a family’s maple syrup harvest in Contoocook, New Hampshire; an organic farm in Ojai, California; and into the lives of a champion skier, a National Geographic photographer, and a legendary alpinist. It also features exclusive interviews with Patagonia founder Yvon Chouinard. The movie will replay every 30 minutes.
- Bike Repair - Have a bike in need of repair? A member of the Bradley Street Bicycle Co-Op will be at hand with some tools to help with repairs!
- iFixit workshop - Learn how to fix common smartphone issues with the Yale Student Technology Collaborative.
- ReFleece - Recycled fleece demonstrations by this Boston-based group.
- Klean Kanteen Trivia Challenge - Test your knowledge on leave-no-trace backpacking with this trivia game hosted by Yale Outdoors. Win a Klean Kanteen “Students for Zero Waste” branded, pint-sized tumbler!
- Carbon Footprint Activity - Learn about your carbon footprint with an activity hosted by Bulldog Sustainability.
- Materials Management Table - Learn about materials management with the Yale Sustainability Service Corps.
- Reusable Container Giveaway - We will be giving out a limited amount of reusable clamshell containers (food truck friendly!)! Reduce waste and use them at places like the food carts in place of Styrofoam!
- Free refreshments will be served.
4:30pm - 6:00pm: “What to Do, How to Live: Personal Activism for a Threatened Planet”
[Evans Hall - 2410 Bewkes Classroom]
Join us for a panel discussion with Rick Ridgeway from Patagonia, Adam Werbach from Yerdle and Scott Briscoe from National Outdoor Leadership School.
Light reception to follow the panel discussion. Please REGISTER for this session so we can plan seating and food/beverages accordingly!
All events open to the public.