Legal Companies ranging from patagonia® to Warby Parker® to Hootsuite® have successfully scaled while adopting triple-bottom-line business practices. Essentially, these companies have proven that you can be profitable and still be good corporate citizens. Examples of ways that companies can implement corporate social responsibility into operations is through (legal) benefit corporation structures and (business) B Corp certifications. Often, these business and legal modes are conflated and confused.
This presentation will cover:
Benefits & B's
- The history in a nutshell of shareholder primacy (i.e. profit above all) in corporate law;
- The development of the legal benefit corporation entity and B Corp certification standard in response to shareholder primacy, including what they do and don't accomplish;
- How benefit corporations and B Corps are related and how they differ;
- Attitudes of millennials and industry trends towards corporate social responsibility; and,
- Increasing importance of trustmarks in e-commerce, particularly in light of COVID.
IP for Entrepreneurs
- An overview of intellectual property and what to prioritize in early stage development.
- An overview of common mistakes by entrepreneurs and how to avoid / overcome them.
This workshop is being co-hosted with Tsai CITY as part of their Innovator’s Toolkit series.