Awarded each spring, the Sabin Sustainable Venture Prize supports innovative student and faculty ideas for a for-profit business that advances a more sustainable way of life. Past winners include an online social platform to expand the adoption of solar power, a software package for improving forest inventory data, and a sustainable protein producer.
The competition provides participants with constructive feedback from experienced judges, opportunities to collaborate with faculty experts, and dedicated time to discuss ideas and strategy with top venture capitalists and leading industry professionals. Sabin winners also receive cash prizes totaling $25,000. Applications can be found on the "Get Involved" tab.
The program was created in 2008 with the generous support of the Andrew Sabin Family Foundation. It is managed by the Yale Center for Business and the Environment (CBEY) and seeks to:
- Stimulate applications of entrepreneurship and innovation to address issues of sustainability;
- Promote multi-disciplinary approaches to environmental/social problem solving;
- Generate ideas that are scalable, achievable, quantifiable, and financeable; and
- Educate about how entrepreneurs turn a concept into a successful reality.
The Lecture Series
Along with the award, the Sabin Sustainable Venture is comprised of a lecture series dedicated to business and the environment.
The focus of this year's series is on urban innovators: Bright Lights, Green Sights is a speaker series designed to explore environmental leadership within an urban setting. Urban populations have the greatest willingness to pay for environmental services yet are often the ones whose needs are least met. Over the year, we will welcome six diverse speakers to campus to reflect on their entrepreneurial endeavors and discuss opportunities available for improving environmental outcomes while working in cities.
Because the intersection of business and the environment is a relatively new space, there is a lot of room for new ideas to take root. CBEY supports students interested in the creation of new nonprofit and commercial organizations, business models, or other innovations that address pressing environmental challenges.
For coaching or feedback on your venture or idea, there are various CBEY community members who are available for office hours or 1-1 coaching sessions. If you would like to make an appointment with any of the people below, please follow the instructions.
Peter Boyd, CBEY Executive Fellow – email Cass Walker (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Vincent Stanley, Director of Philosophy at Patagonia – email Cass Walker (email@example.com)
Cass Walker, Social and Environmental Innovation Program Manager at CBEY – email firstname.lastname@example.org
People & Partners
President, Andrew Sabin Family Foundation
Investor (MBA/MEM '00)
Managing Director, Clean Energy Venture Group (MPPM '84)
Managing Director, NGEN Partners (BA ’76, MBA ’80)
Executive Fellow, Yale Center for Business and the Environment Founder & CEO, Time4Good Group Senior Advisor & Climate Lead, the B Team
Social and Environmental Innovation Program Manager, Yale Center for Business and the Environment
Director, Yale Landscape Lab (MESc '10)
- Entrepreneurial Venture Creation - Information Session Thursday September 8, 2016, 12:00 p.m. — 1:00 p.m.
- The Future of Protein Thursday September 29, 2016, 11:45 a.m. — 12:45 p.m.
Previous Events (19)
- Bright Lights, Green Sights: Frederick Hutson, Pigeonly Tuesday April 19, 2016, 11:45 a.m. — 12:45 p.m.
- 2016 Sabin Sustainable Venture Prize Friday April 15, 2016, 8:00 a.m. — 11:30 a.m.
- Sabin Sustainable Venture Prize - Info session [CANCELLED] Thursday February 4, 2016, 4:00 p.m. — 5:00 p.m.
- Yale Prizes Info Session Wednesday January 20, 2016, 1:00 p.m. — 2:00 p.m.
- Bright Lights, Green Sights: Lisa Price, Carol's Daughter Wednesday December 9, 2015, 11:45 a.m. — 12:45 p.m.
- 30-Second Entrepreneurial Pitch Workshop: Craft and Deliver Thursday November 12, 2015, 4:30 p.m. — 5:30 p.m.
- Bright Lights, Green Sights: Minh Tsai, Hodo Soy Tuesday November 10, 2015, 11:45 a.m. — 12:45 p.m.
- Bright Lights, Green Sights: Yael Aflalo, Reformation Thursday October 29, 2015, 12:00 p.m. — 12:45 p.m.
- Sobotka Seed Stage Venture Grants - Informational session Thursday October 15, 2015, 11:45 a.m. — 12:45 p.m.
- 2015 Sabin Prize Friday April 17, 2015, 9:00 a.m. — 2:00 p.m.
- Sabin Speaker Series: Will Bradshaw, Co-Founder and CEO, Green Coast Enterprises Monday February 23, 2015, 11:45 a.m. — 12:45 p.m.
- Sabin Sustainable Venture Prize Workshop #3: Business Writing and Presentations Friday February 20, 2015, 12:00 p.m. — 1:30 p.m.
- Roundtable Discussion with Entrepreneur Austin Holsinger Thursday February 12, 2015, 12:00 p.m. — 1:00 p.m.
- Sabin Sustainable Venture Prize Workshop #2: Accounting and Financial Modeling Friday January 30, 2015, 11:00 a.m. — 2:00 p.m.
- Sabin Sustainable Venture Prize Workshop #1: Market Research Friday January 23, 2015, 12:00 p.m. — 1:30 p.m.
- Start Something: Lean Startup Methodology Workshop Saturday December 6, 2014, 2:30 p.m. — 6:30 p.m.
- Unlocking the energy efficiency market: How better financing, smart technology, and aggressive entrepreneurship can make it happen Thursday November 20, 2014, 11:45 a.m. — 12:45 p.m.
- Innovations in Water Technology Thursday October 9, 2014, 4:15 p.m. — Thursday October 16, 2014, 6:00 p.m.
- Lunch Workshop with Founder of The Ground_Up Project Tuesday January 14, 2014, 11:45 a.m. — 12:45 p.m.