In recent years there has been an explosion of interest in building sustainable brands with “green” and cause-based marketing. Major brands such as Johnson & Johnson, GE and BMW are launching green product lines. Critical buyers are also paying attention. Retailers such as Wal-Mart, Office Depot and Wholefoods require greater transparency into the sustainability of the products they sell, and large institutional buyers such as the US Federal Government and Universities demand more sustainable products and verified claims. Given the current green noise and plethora of marketing approaches, the claim that a product is more sustainable is being critically evaluated, and brands making green claims are being forced to address significant environmental aspects across their life cycle.
Despite all of this recent activity, in order to achieve a substantial impact, products that are more environmentally sustainable need to be able to reach an even wider audience and gain more market share. How can we create sustainable products that resonate with customers? How do we develop brands that will bring greener products into the mainstream? How do companies coordinate internally and with their supply chains to make and sell more sustainable products? How do companies and buyers ensure that products are indeed more sustainable, and ensure that valid claims are trusted by consumers?
The Colloquium on Sustainability Marketing at Yale aims to unravel and address the challenges of creating environmentally sustainable products, services and brands that customers love.
Watch a sample event below. To see all events from this series, click the ‘Events’ tab above.
"Don’t Buy This!" Building Patagonia’s Aspirational Brand (Highlights)
Photo by Anthony Clark
People & Partners
Previous Events (7)
- Multi-National Corporations Marketing at the BOP: Scaling Social Impact Wednesday September 24, 2014, 4:15 p.m. — 5:15 p.m.
- Why Caesars Bets on Green Tuesday April 1, 2014, 11:45 a.m. — 12:45 p.m.
- Fat Tire, Slim Footprint: Crafting Sustainable Beers & Brands Thursday January 30, 2014, 4:30 p.m. — 5:30 p.m.
- Nudging Big Buyers Towards Greener Products Monday December 9, 2013, 11:45 a.m. — 12:45 p.m.
- Sustainability Marketing: The Power of True Stories Wednesday November 20, 2013, 8:30 a.m. — 7:00 p.m.
- “Don’t Buy This!” Building Patagonia’s Aspirational Brand Monday September 23, 2013, 12:00 p.m. — 1:00 p.m.
- Johnson & Johnson: The Making and Marketing of Sustainable Brands Tuesday September 10, 2013, 11:45 a.m. — 12:45 p.m.